Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

what was the secondary voltage here - roughly (i
don`t know the toroid capacitance and bps)?

I calculated it earlier from conservation of energy as being about 600kV. Since adding more toroid capacitance requires adding more tank capacitance in proportion, the output voltage shouldn't change excepting IR losses. So the big 48" toroid would probably not have got any more voltage than the 24" one.

I only just got the 48" to break out without a breakout point: on some attempts it flashed the secondary before breaking out. So this suggests that my 30" tall secondary flashes with about 600kV.

you didn`t have a couple bucks for RG-213? :-)))

It _was_ screened cable- Quadflex mic cable with isolating transformers at either end. The screen isn't much help when dealing with high voltage strikes with fast rise times.

recently Antonio have posted the chart, and according to it breakout
voltage for this toroid must be equal to 342kv - something wrong here
:-)

I downloaded and ran Antonio's Inca calculator. It gave the following answer for a toroid of 24" (0.609m) major diameter x 8" (0.203m) minor diameter:

"Exact breakdown voltage:   574.3855kV"

That's close enough to 600kV for government work- so if something is wrong it's not me.

For an 8" x 48" (1.218m x 0.203m)

"Exact breakdown voltage:   813.3089kV"

But my big toroid was flex duct with ribs so it probably broke out sooner.

Steve Conner