Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

where did you find that? It`s 3MV/m for DC, but we have HF AC, so this
value can be several times smaller, 1MV/m - i like it much more :-)

There is no difference for INITIAL breakout voltage at Tesla coil frequencies and DC breakdown voltage. Reduction due to surface tracking would apply if an insulating surface were in contact with areas of the terminal where the electric field is high, but this doesn't happen in this case.

Tl> But that's just a rule of thumb. In practice I reckon the secondary
Tl> can stand more than 1MV/m since the winding acts as a series of grading rings.

This too.

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/ol2resonator.html
"The breakout voltage for a 8" x 24" toroid is... something like
600kV"
recently Antonio have posted the chart, and according to it breakout
voltage for this toroid must be equal to 342kv - something wrong here
:-)

24" x 8" is 0.6096 m x 0.2032 m. Breakdown voltage is 575 kV.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz