Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

>  >  > Most coils will not deliver their most  efficient performance until
>  >  > you reach a certain point (mine takes off  when the buss voltage is
>  >  > about 500V,  and then continues to grow  linearly after that).
>  >
>  > then maybe you`ll explain, what is so"interestingly" in that "my sparks
>  > would grow from say 3 feet at 450VDC to like 9 feet a 500VDC", huh?
>  > you speak by yourself, that "Most coils" do the same, so what was your
>  > point here, if it is well known long ago? :-)

> What is *your* point now?

you answer the question with another question, not having answered my
question first - and what are you expecting to get then? :-)

> You, afterall, are not adding any new information with posts like this.

i must not - i ask, what info have you added with your post? no info.

> Now, as to *my* point: it's interesting regardless of whether only my
> coil, or if all tesla coils exhibit this.  Why is there such a sharp
> knee if you were to plot voltage (primary) vs spark length?  Bang
> energy should go up with V^2, but spark length increases with the
> sqrt(bang energy).  So what is going on?

and what`s strange? each energy value corresponds to a certain toroid
size  - and you use the same discharger anywhere, so what do you want?

> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> which leaders (we agreed not to call them streamers any more)

why don`t name them "sparks" - as in the past?

> A small coil with a small toroid might produce a less uniform field,
> in which case the jump wouldn't be as sudden. The "magic field
> strength" would be achieved nearest the toroid first and then it
> would spread out as the voltage was cranked up.

it`s possible to get big voltage even at small coil, it`s possible to
put a big toroid etc.. i guess nobody of you "at past 10 years" didn`t
try this, nobody was trying to increase electrical strength of the
secondary - instead you just increase its size.

>  > then maybe you`ll explain, what is so"interestingly"

> Father Dest, it's about time you built a coil for yourself, then you
> will see what is so interestingly about them ;)

my question was far away from this, and you know what i mean ;-)

> It's very easy to get caught up in trying to analyse everything. But
> at the end of the day our simulations are only as accurate as our
> streamer- oops leader- growth model, which seems not very accurate at all.

don`t you think that only _your_ models are so bad? that only _you_
don`t know how things are doing in real? that there`re people, who are
involved in these problems professionally, with professional
equipment, in professional environment - for dozens of years.
i consider that such "analysis guys" like B & R have so enormous
theoretical and experimental base, that your words:

> We will probably find out lots of cool results in the process that
> will help the analysis guys.

just make me smile (nothing personal here).
imo the problem is not in "analyzing" something by ourselves, the problem
is how to investigate and adapt currently available facts and
conclusions to our specific case.

-----
I have run coils up to 20KW in residential neighborhoods.  I have
received death threats and have had the police, fire, and department of
water and power all show up at the same time. Screw 'em all. Keep firin'.
(c) Mark Barton  29-09-95