Re: Three phase made from a 3Ph induction motor.

Original poster: "Rob Judd" <canska@xxxxxx>

You would probably want to use resistive ballasting. If you do pull too much
power (even a dead short), the motor will simply stop generating output.

Induction motor-generators don't handle inductive loads very well. In fact,
if you run an induction motor from your generating motor, the generator will
have to be several times larger than the motor. Essentially, the inducance
of the load cancels the run capacitance on the generator, and it will
reduce/stop producing output.

The transformers will also present an inductive load, but that cannot be
avoided. You'll just have to oversize your generating motor. With a 5hp
motor, you could generate about 3.7kVA, but its best to derate it to about
75% of that for resistive loads, and derate even further for inductive
loads.

Unfortunately, that means you won't have a whole lot of useable power. Last
time I ran the numbers, it was cheaper to just buy a used commercial genhead
than trying to get a large enough motor.

Rob Judd - canska@xxxxxx
http://homepage.a5.com/~canska

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 3:18 PM Subject: FW: Three phase made from a 3Ph induction motor.