Re: 48kW DRSSTC: international names

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

so what - we all must stop now saying "thyristors" and
start calling them scrs? no way! %o)))))))

I prefer thyristor too. From the ancient Greek: Thuros, a gate + istor, an electronic thing ;-) And I'm sure all list members in the US know that a thyristor and an SCR are the same thing. It's just that ACMAAFA (Americans Can Make An Acronym/Abbreviation For Anything)

I can think of dozens of things relevant to Tesla coiling that have different names in different countries. There are the obvious ones like "Ground" and "Receptacle", but also more subtle things like Bondo, pizza pan, GFI, Plexiglass, heavy build magnet wire and Schedule 80 pipe. Over here we would call those car body filler, baking tray, RCD, Perspex (or acrylic), Grade 1 ECW, and I h ave no idea what the pipe is called.

It's important to bear these things in mind if you are following cookbook instructions written by someone in another country. Maybe there should be an international FAQ or something.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/