Re: 48kW DRSSTC and RELIABILITY

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Could you please explain your
GDT construction? pictures would help too.

They are made from three wires bound together and wound round a toroid core as usual, except one of the wires is a piece of 1/8" miniature coax. The core of this coax is connected to the driver chip outputs just like you would do with an ordinary unshielded wire. The screen is connected at one end to the metal box that the driver board is housed in, and left floating at the other end. The ground plane of the driver PCB is bolted to the box too.

I'm not sure if it really helps or if it is just a gimmick. :-/

This only happens with secondary feedback... right?

Hmm, I never really thought about that. I guess it's a lot harder to induce weird frequencies in the primary, because it's just a lumped resonator, and doesn't have a whole spectrum of modes. (well not ones relevant to coiling anyway.)

But I was still unsure what would happen under real heavy streamer loading. I thought the effective Q of the circuits might get very low, and it was nice to know that the PLL would take a guess at the right frequency and keep driving anyway. I also expected that strikes to the primary would probably create some pretty extreme feedback "signals".

Have you tried allowing primary strikes from the toroid?  If you need,
i can send you some spare IGBTs :-).

I haven't provoked it on purpose, although it may well have happened once or twice by accident. I guess I could try it but it's a pretty evil test especially if the strike current passes through the feedback CT. Which it would on my coil :-<

I've got plenty of spare IGBTs, since I'm not in the habit of blowing any. :-P *knocks on wood

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/