From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, 5 December 2005 6:36 am
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 48kW DRSSTC: international names

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

so what - we all must stop now saying "thyristors" and
start calling them scrs? no way! %o)))))))

I prefer thyristor too. From the ancient Greek: Thuros, a gate +
istor, an electronic thing ;-) And I'm sure all list members in the
US know that a thyristor and an SCR are the same thing. It's just
that ACMAAFA (Americans Can Make An Acronym/Abbreviation For Anything)

I can think of dozens of things relevant to Tesla coiling that have
different names in different countries. There are the obvious ones
like "Ground" and "Receptacle", but also more subtle things like
Bondo, pizza pan, GFI, Plexiglass, heavy build magnet wire and
Schedule 80 pipe. Over here we would call those car body filler,
baking tray, RCD, Perspex (or acrylic), Grade 1 ECW, and I h ave no
idea what the pipe is called.

It's important to bear these things in mind if you are following
cookbook instructions written by someone in another country. Maybe
there should be an international FAQ or something.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/