Re: Build own capacators

Hello,
   Newbie here--
I have a source for accurate thickness sheets of mica up to 12 inches square. Didn't Tesla build his own capacators? Something to do with current storage and temperature?

How hard are they to build today? Would the mica allow for very large capactors to be built?
Thank you,
Dave Luke"

Where did you find mica sheets that large? Very unusual these days, at least for high quality mica. Good mica capacitors are great but I think you'd be better off going the MMC route since it's probably cheaper. The problem with the mica's, in addition to the expense, is the difficulty of excluding all of the air so you don't get internal corona leading to breakdown of the adjacent mica.

Ed