Re: Build own capacators

Original poster: robert heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dave luke; Home built capacitors are made by many coilers, Some better than
others. The "salt water cap"  is the most common and the cheapest to build.
They tend to be large and work well.  Glass Plate capacitors are heavy and
the glass tends to fail. Old window pains with aluminum flashing plates 1
inch smaller than the glass pains worked for me, They are heavy and not
movable, I use 4 mill 12" polyethylene bag stock. 6 layers wraped around 10"
flashing plates ( 12 mills of thickness) . Tied with string in an oil bath.
I am well pleased. They are bulkey , full of oil and deliver a lot of
current. Mica is expensive and not available to most of us so not in common
use , but I guess it would be like glass plates hard to move.
   Robert   H