RE: Capacitor Help

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Malcolm:

VERY nice looking primary construction!

Regarding a safety gap across your MMC - don't.  Should a gap across the
MMC fire, the discharge current is limited only by the impedance of the
gap arc, which is very low, and over-current damage to the MMC may occur
if it happens too often.  Instead, the safety gap should be in parallel
with the main gap.

The same safety gap in parallel with the main gap will limit the voltage
seen by the MMC to the same level, but should that fire, the discharge
current will be limited by the primary coil's impedance - the same as
during a normal gap discharge.  The same level of protection is
achieved, without risk of cap damage.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA