Re: Simulation vs. Experimentation

Of course, "normal" folks don't need super high accuracy, 5% or 10% is fine and the measurements can be fairly lax to get that. It is far easier to simply move the primary tap around a little rather than spend hours going over the coil with calipers.... The primary tap point is also influenced by what size room the coil is in and all the primary wires to the cap and gap also "count" as inductance. So even if a coil is perfect in the garage, it may need a little primary adjustment out in the driveway.

So the computer programs are for all practical purposes "more perfect" than the "real world"... 99% of the folks here will not be able to verify any errors in the programs because the programs are better at calculating than they are at measuring.

One certainly could make a coil and tap it so it runs just right the first time (I have ;-)) But it is one heck of a lot of work!!! the programs are really meant to get darn close so once the coil is built the final fine adjustment is really easy. "

I just hope all this discussion doesn't discourage newcomers! Get or make a capacitor, wind a secondary, guess at the primary inductance needed (pencil and paper calculation just fine), make a primary out of scrap wire with a few extra turns, fire it up and adjust the tap! I enjoy these simulations too but for someone who isn't computer literate they might be frightening.

Ed