Re: transformer modification

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

Hey Bobby...

the potting material is made of an Epoxy Resin... it wont melt like the old potting material ( mostly tar)

the epoxy should be frozen and chipped away or you can use some very nasty chemicals like hi powered paint stripper to soften it but if it gets onto the windings it can remove the varnish from the wire also...
not sure of the subject topic but this has been archived in the list ( Tesla list Archive) it could be found with some searching...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Bobby Amaya <dimon20042004@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Steve,

FYI, my transformer is made by Transco. When I was
trying to cook my transformer yesterday on a propane
burner, I saw some of the potting material boilling on
the inside of the transformer where the walls of the
unit had expanded. That was the only part that was
melted after about 2 hours and the top stayed
relatively cool for some odd reason.

Bobby,