Re: Beginner questions

At 11:20 AM 2/11/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx
Tyler,

The wire size used for connecting the tank components (primary, cap and gap) depends on the power level that you are running at. My 3" coil uses a 15 kv 60 ma transformer for power and the primary interconnect wire is # 10 solid copper. My 6" coil uses a 14.4 kv 5 kva distribution transformer and the interconnect wire is 3/8" diameter copper tubing.

Solid copper wire that is larger than strictly required by current considerations (say, from NST to the rest of the circuit, where it's carrying all of 30mA) is useful because it is stiff enough to hold its shape and support its own weight.