From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 4:22 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Big Coil

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 1/24/05 7:05:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi All,
I fried my 4.5" coil last night, I was getting 80" strikes at 14Kv :). But
you all know how it goes from there---MORE,MORE,MORE. So I flipped the
switch and fed it 24Kv. It went up like a 4th of July sparkler ;( !!!
Well now to build a \\BIG// coil, I have a 120/240--14,400/23,800--10Kva
pig, 2 max-caps 45KV/30nf each. I want as large as the PS can handle. So any
Ideas.
Thanks for the input.
Ken J.

Ken,

Wow, that is a lot of power for a 4.5" secondary.  80" is good performance
for that size coil.  The most power I have fed my 6" coil is about 7.5 kva
- and I don't think it can take much more.  With the power supply you have
available, I don't think a 10" or 12" secondary would be out of line at all.

So, did the secondary develop racing sparks and burn up?

Ed Sonderman