Re: Geek group salt water bucket cap woes.

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx

Um. I'm running a TC with Corona beer bottles in plain old salt water, no mineral oil. I've left enough room above the water so that strikeovers don't happen. The bottles withstand 12kv just fine.

With all the discussion about mineral water and other oils, I am starting to wonder if I'm more clueless than usual. I first used a salt water cap made this way in the early '70's and it worked fine. I've never broken a bottle. It works. (The current coil has the salt water vat and some tinfoil/plexiglass caps paralleled for quick adjustments on the capacitance).

So ... am I *supposed* to add an oil? I always thought oil was for "healing" spark punch-throughs. I don't have that problem, so I don't use oil.

Thank you for putting up with some interminably silly questions.

    Bewildered, I remain,

    Dave Small