Re: The Freau Number

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 6/20/05 1:56:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The 1.7 is a somewhat elastic value, and surely will
> depend upon the coil
> family.  However, the most important feature of the
> Freau equation IMO is
> the SQRT function...

-----
Agreed.
I think John F. developed the empirical equation
L=1.7×SQRT(P) on basis of fixed BPS rate (120 BPS)
given input wallplug power.For class of the coils he
considered.

Boris,

I didn't really limit the operation to 120 bps for my formula.
Most of the larger coils in those days ran at about 240 to
400 bps or so, and the formula worked for them too.  I did
find that the smaller coils seemed to require 120 bps operation
to meet the formula results.  This made me speculate at the
time that larger coils do a little better than the formula
"predicts", and smaller coils do a little worse.  But mostly
the SQRT (P) aspect works OK.

IIRC,he has said once that factor 1.7 should have be
changed to aproximately 2 for power  given in form
P=E×BPS .E stands for the energy stored in a primary
capacitor.
Not sure about that though.You should ask him
directly.

Yes, I believe I did say that back when.  I added the
qualification that the BPS would be within some range
such as 60 to 400 BPS with the larger coils tolerating
the higher BPS and the smaller coils not (regarding
meeting the formula's "predictions".  Some tests I did
suggested that 60 BPS comes very close to the
performance at 120 BPS at least in the tests I did on
smaller coils with large toroids.

Cheers,
John

regards,