Re: Newbie polyurethane mistake

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Thomas,

Don't worry! It happens a lot with polyurathane. I used to coat coils with Minwax fast drying, and found that coils were still damp 2-3 years later. On the plus side, it can work to advantage by acting similar to immersion in oil and can self heal to an extent. I have had one coil that I purposely overcoupled and it recieved a couple of burn outs in the windings. The poly started to ooze out in those spots and resealed the burns. The poly will crack and peel if hit, so you do have to be careful with it. Your secondary is fine and ready to go.

David E Weiss

Original poster: "Coyle, Thomas M." <tcoyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Having never worked with polyurethane before, I made what I'm sure is a
super-newbie mistake, and I'm wondering if there's any way to rectify
it.

I coated my secondary with about 7 coats of polyurethane (until I
couldn't feel the ridges of the turns). Unfortunately, I didn't let each
coat fully dry before putting the next one down. Now, the outside is
rock-solid, but if you press with a finger, the coating will buckle and
peel. The bottom layers are still gelatinous, while the top is solid.
It's been sitting for 6 weeks while I work on other things, and that
inside just won't dry (if I pick off some of the top, it's still moist
below). This would seem to be a great testament to how wonderful
polyurethane is at sealing out (or in) moisture.

Is there any way to salvage this secondary? Can poly be baked to finish
curing? Will the gelatinous poly cause flashovers or some other
nastiness? Has anyone ever made this mistake before (say yes - it'll
make me feel better)?

Thanks,

Tom