Re: Re[2]: Terry filter

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <tesla_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

It is a simple formula: the voltage (E) across a
resistor (R) is equal to the product of the resistance
times the current(I) through the resistor (E = I x R).

Suppose you applied the output of a 15kv/60ma NST
across a 1000 ohm resistor. 1000 ohms x .060 Amps =
60v. Even though the NST can produce a potential of up
to 15kvac, the 1000 ohm resistor will never "feel"
more than 60vac. 15kvac is what the NST can produce
when open-circuit. Across a non-reactive load, the
voltage will decrease as the resistance decreases. The
most extreme example is if you simply short the two HV
leads together. At zero ohms, the voltage will drop to
zero and the current will self-limit to 60ma.

This is very similar to how an NST works when it is
connected to a neon sign. When a neon sign is first
switched on, the neon fill gas is essentially an open
and the NST voltage quickly spikes to 15kvac. However,
as the high potential ionizes the neon, it gives off a
pretty glow, and its resistance quickly breaks down.
The voltage across the lamp falls to about 800v. This
is sufficient to maintain the 60ma conduction once it
has gotten started. From then on, the NST behaves more
like a ballast than a high voltage power supply. The
NST is really just a self-starting luminous tube
ballast.

Does that help any?

Greg