Re: Need Help With School Project

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

The innermost primary is grounded so there is less potential between this
area and the primary.  In fact, best practice is to run the innermost copper
tubing directly down a hole to the spark gap --- this leaves no tap with any
sharp edges to form damaging corona to the base of the sec coil --- also at
ground potential.

We cut 3 long slots about 1 inch wide in the upper base support.  The slots
start around turn# 2 and go to within 1/2 inch of the outer edge of the
disk.  These slots allow us to explore 1/3 turn tuning accuracy.  Cut them
with a router.

The innermost turn is grounded and then we start at turn two using only 30%
on the variac and a sharp rod off the toroid.  We move outward turn by turn
until we get the best discharge off the rod at 30% variac.

Then go to full power, and with the larger corona field, usually another 1/4
to 1/2 turn is required to get max discharge.

Dr. Resonance