Re: logistics of running a "real high power" coil

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: Re: logistics of running a "real high power" coil

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I would say to "rent" that kind of power:
>
> http://www.cumminsnorthwest.com/PowerRent/Default.asp
>
> Big power on the back of a truck for rent is a common thing...

Yep..
My local rental yard only has units that go up to 50kVA, and it's $220/dy,
$880/wk

Moving up to folks that rent bigger units, typical rental rates are $300 for
an 8 hour day, $600 for a 40 hr wk, $1800 for a 160 hr month, for 100kVA.
http://www.generatorjoe.net/page.asp?id=67

Price doesn't go up much to get more power... 200kVA is only $400/dy.  Not
something you'd want to casually rent every other week, but certainly, in
the context of a BIG coil (which is going to be a multi-thousand dollar
project anyway), it might not be too expensive.

Used, with warranty, this sort of thing runs about $10K-20K

Surplus, I imagine about 10%-20% of that.

Clearly, shopping around and waiting for a "deal" for a generator you could
leave at your test site is probably going to be the best scheme (unless they
already have heavy 3phase power for some other reason (running big
irrigation pumps, around here)).