RE: spray enamel vs shellack

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Steve:

Most of the sprays must be recoated in 1 to 2 hours or you must wait 48
to 72 hours.  Otherwise, the surface will alligator.  I leave my coil
and coil form on my winding device and build up coats of minwax
polyurethane with a foam brush while rotating the winding device.  I can
apply an even coat like this in a matter of minutes.  Then, I wrap the
brush in aluminum foil and a zip-lock bag and put in the freezer.  The
polyurethane dries in 1 to 2 hours and I can recoat.  I build-up 50 or
more coats, but others on this list have indicated that is not
necessary.  In my case, I use recycled wire so I have soldered splice
joints that sometimes stick out a bit so part of my reasoning is to
build up thick enough to cover this.

Mark

Would spray enamel be a suitable replacement for shellack to coat the secondary if my Tesla Col?

Steven Steele