RE: DC coil without the voltage doubler resoance charge inductor?

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Paul:

I would not risk ruining a pricey NST even if it had the correct
Inductance.  MOT's are free(If your not to proud to dumpster dive).  My
MOT charging reactor set-up ran for many hours before the inductance
began to drop due to corona and insulation breakdown within the MOT
secondary windings.  Be sure the MOT cores are well insulated from
ground(mount on polycarbonate or other sheet).  You need to disconnect
the ground side of the MOT secondary from the core as we have previously
discussed.

I have found that near all the MOT's I have messed with have ~100 turn
primaries and ~2000 turn secondaries.  The secondaries are typically #26
gauge.  Typically, each MOT secondary has ~15 Henries inductance so you
need a few to get what you need.  I needed 30H thus (2) for my coil.

Once you get your coil working, you can come up with a longer term
solution if you want to take your project to a higher level.

You need a bit of math to figure out the correct charging reactor size
for your coil system.  Let me know if you need help on that.  Richie
Burnett's site covers the math very well.

Mark

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark,
I have been considering duplicating your DC resonant charging
configuration
and have most of the parts required minus the charging reactor. I was
considering using the secondary of a 15kV NST for this but after reading

about your experience with the MOT secondary burning out, I have second
thoughts. I do realize that the NST secondary is designed for 15kV vs.
the
2000kV of a MOT. What is your opinion about this idea? Thanks. Paul PS
Your previous emails and your web site have been extremely helpful.
Thanks again.