Re: WIRE & CAPACITORS

Original poster: Chris Arnold <xiterion@xxxxxxxxx>

The reason for having a separate pair of caps on each gate drive IC is
to improve noise rejection in the power supply to the gate drivers.
SSTCs have lots of noise in basically everything conductive near them.
 This allows the filter right next to the IC to take up at least some
of this noise.  It also improves their performance while switching by
providing a short, low impedance path to the filter.  In principle you
could try to run without them, but in practice everything you can do
on a SSTC board to help noise performace is worth the time spent.

Chris Arnold

> Original poster: "Alexander Turkin" <alex_3@xxxxxxx>
>
> Hello
>
>   Can I use a solid wire wire for a Gate Drive Transformer? Or it's
> necessary to use a multiple-strand wire?
>
>   In SSTC each Gate Drive IC has 2 capacitors (100nF and 10uF). Why is it
> necessary for EACH IC to have its OWN capacitors? Can I replace them 8 with
> 2 (if 4 IC's then 100nF * 4 = 400nF and 10uF * 4 = 40uF)?
>
> Thanks

-- Chris