Re: WIRE & CAPACITORS

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

Alex,

Magnet wire is what we recommended you use, and it is solid. Multi stranded is only needed when you step into the megahertz range.

The caps you mention are decoupling caps. think of them as small resuwars that enable the chips to deliver the maximum current. At RF frequencies, the impedance of the inductance of a trace on the pcb becomes significant, so that the chips cannot pull full current from the cap over at the regulator. Small local resouars are needed close to the chips, and the small value is there to insure the steep front rise time of the square wave, the big one to insure that this square wave doesn`t sag too soon. It follows that you don`t really want long wires from the chip to the load, which in this case is the GDT. From GTD to Gates use flat computer ribbon wire, like the stuff thatt connect motherboard to floppy or harddisk. every second wire goes together to form a low inductance connection to the gates. Use like say 20 leads.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Alexander Turkin" <alex_3@xxxxxxx>

Hello

Can I use a solid wire wire for a Gate Drive Transformer? Or it's necessary to use a multiple-strand wire?

In SSTC each Gate Drive IC has 2 capacitors (100nF and 10uF). Why is it necessary for EACH IC to have its OWN capacitors? Can I replace them 8 with 2 (if 4 IC's then 100nF * 4 = 400nF and 10uF * 4 = 40uF)?

Thanks