Re: Current Limiting and Impedance, DC Resonant Charging

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am finally responding to Jim Mora's post of 5/9/05.

Jim:

You said you need to build a charging reactor for 8-10VA at 21 kv.  Some
of the other discussion revolves around a pole pig so it seems to me
that this is a typo.

My charging reactor on my DC sytem runs off an MOT power supply and FW
rectifier with filter caps.  I feed the charging reactor ~ 10 KV at 180
mA so I am ~ 1.8 KVA.

My charging reactor is ~7500 turns of #30 gauge wire in 50 layers on a
paper coilform with each layer insulated with a layer of epoxy.  The
coil is mounted on a pair of U100/57/25 U-Cores(matl 3C85) and gapped at
.020" to achieve L = 31 H.  With no Gap this unit has L=160H.  I run 460
BPS so my charging circuit resonates at 230 Hz.

I started with (2) MOT secondaries in series(each had about L = 15 H)
but the windings arced internally and the Inductance began to drop over
time.  It did run that way for a number of months before the insulation
breakdown began.

Mark