Re: Need a Variac

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Adam,
            I'll be seeing you late this afternoon so we can discuss
this then but believe it or not, I *never* used a variac in my first
15 years of coiling! Yep - I plugged them in, held my breath and
switched on, quickly noting the results. If you have set the gap to a
reasonable value what have you possibly got to lose? The types of
transformers used in coiling in the 0 - 2kW range are generally all
ballasted by their own leakage inductance and those that aren't will
end up popping a fuse or a breaker if you've forgotten to use a
ballast or charging choke (same thing).

Malcolm