Re: Magnetic Rectifier

">  > I'm glad you came to Tesla's defense on the
> Magnetic Rectifier! I  have
>  > asked one of the fields experts at my university
> about that
>  > patent in specific. (No.413,353 Method for
> Obtaining Direct from
>  > Alternating Currents) He was sure that a net DC
> wave would result.
>    At what efficiency?
>
>  > I plan on putting together a proof of concept
> experiment very soon. I
>  > think this would be a great way of getting High
> Voltage High Power DC
>  > to a Tesla Coil System."

If you'll look at Fig. 1 of the patent you will see that the polarity of the batteries in the circuits C and D is such that a DC current from them will flow around the loop they form, independent of any voltage from the generator. Presumably the devices G in the two branches are loads into which he wants to supply direct durrent. The circuit will certainly do that, but only from the batteries themselves!
Very easy to build such a circuit and play with it.

In figure 3, diodes could be substituted for the commutator to produce the same effect as the synchronous commutator. Also note that he really could use two transformers instead of the four shown; the equivalent circuit would be identical. It would also be easy to duplicate this circuit by substituting some small 12V filament transformers from Radio Shack, with diodes hooked across their secondaries in the appropriate polarity. This would be equivalent to placing separate diodes across H and H' in Figure 2, but with either both anodes or both cathodes connected to the common wire between them.
For about ten bucks and an hours work you can build a model and measure the performance, which would consist of measuring the current flowing through the branches C and D.

Why doesn't some proponent of the scheme take time out and give this a try? At most a morning's work and the cost of a few cups of Starbucks coffee or the price of a bottle of wine.

Ed