Re: coax cable , blumlein, etc.

Hi Malcolm,

Do you have any detail of your experience like.

1. Where were the enormous voltages and how high do you estimate they were??
2. Did you have any terminations in your cable?? series resistance at the SG end, or RC to ground termination at the transformer end??
3. What kind of transformer died??
4. What do you think the mechanism was??

Gerry R

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The problem I ran into had to do with the high di/dt generated by the
gap firing sending a pulse racing back towards the transformer
terminals over about 8 feet of wire. I didn't scope it and don't know
how many reflections were involved but observing discharges in the
safety gap across the transformer just before it died showed that the
energies were small but the voltages were enormous.

Malcolm