Re: Magnifying Tesla Coils

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Sebbie,

On 16 Nov 2005, at 23:15, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Sebastian Fischetti" <QuantumStrings@xxxxxxx>
>

> Thinking along these lines, then, couldn't you (theoretically) create
> as many primary-secondary drivers as you wanted, connect them all to
> the same top load, and connect a single tertiary coil to that top
> load?  I don't know if this would actually sum up the individual
> voltages generated by each individual secondary, I'm sure it has to be
> more complicated then that.  Actually, couldn't you just connect as
> many coils as you wanted?  That is, have a secondary connected to a
> tertiary connected to a quaternary and so on...I'm just putting these
> ideas out there for you guys to comment on, I haven't at all thought
> these out through (nor do I think I would be able to, with my limited
> knowledge of the subject).  I know that a magnifying coil with two
> secondary-primary pairs could work, as demonstrated in the site I
> mentioned in my original E-Mail
> (<http://www.tesla-coil.com/Magnifier.htm>http://www.tesla-coil.com/Ma
> gnifier.htm). I guess in theory there would be a limit as to how many
> primary-secondaries you could squeeze together due to the interaction
> of one primary with its non-respective adjacent secondary...Once
> again, just an idea, I've no idea whether or not this would actually
> be true.  Thanks!
>                                    -Sebbie

The fundamental principle behind using resonant transformers to
generate high voltages is to transfer a gob of energy from a large
capacitance to a small one. Therefore, you can transfer several lumps
of energy from several capacitors to the secondary system or one lump
of energy of the same magnitude as the sum of the smaller energies to
bigger one. Which is technically the simplest and cleanest solution?

Malcolm