Re: New MMC has MASSIVE issues

At 06:34 AM 11/29/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi, remember me saying i am creating a new MMC, rated double my previous cap?

I did that!, and it is closer to matching my NST also.

BUT HERES THE ISSUE:
*If I look carefully I can see dielectric breakdown on 2 of 12 capacitors, while in use
*The Mylar heats up fast

Mylar (polyester) isn't a good dielectric for RF (tesla coil) use. It's somewhat lossy and the heat build up kills it. Most MMCs are made from polypropylene dielectric. That said, people have used just about every dielectric you can name for TC use. Some work better than others.

*My MMC randomly sparks from one capacitor to another. Sometimes it wont do this at all.

Through the body of the capacitor? Your caps are too close together, then, or you're putting too much voltage on them.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE! when I had an 18KV rated MMC, and it gradually broke down. But when i inserted my new MMC, rated 36KV, the MMC began to degrade faster than my old one.

What kind of capacitors are you using?  How are they wired?

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!!!!!?

Wow, i just want a working MMC.

Any solid ideas as to why this is happening, terry? It really is very dissappointing.