Re: Tesla Receiver Coil

Original poster: "Gary Peterson" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

I once made an experiment, designing a Tesla coil operating at 10 MHz, having a telescopic antenna as topload. The primary was excited by a low-impedance slow square wave generator where the spark gap would be. . . . I made a receiver with exactly the same structure, taking the voltage over the primary capacitor as output. . . . If the antennas are at small distance, "echoes" can be observed, as the receiver retransmits the signal, it is received by the transmitter, and then transmitted again.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Your experiment sounds very interesting. Would you consider repeating it with the following changes?

1) Redesign the Tesla coil to operate at 75 kHz and in place of a long skinny antenna give it a large torroidal topload mounted about 1.5 meters above the resonator's top turn on a 7 centimeter conducting cylinder.

2) Use the same type of pulse generator, but excite the primary at the resonator's fundamental resonant frequency to produce a continuous train of undamped waves.

Gary Peterson