Re: DON'T get killed!! - Re: Somewhat off topic. Neon gas tubes..

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: <dgoodfellow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Looking at the CPSC web site, I found that there are about 500 to 800
> people per year who are electrocuted from consumer (houshold)
> electronics. Seems hard to believe, but that is their statistics.
> http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/shock95.pdf

That's pretty low.  It's 20x lower than other home accidents, and only 10x
more than the people killed by lightning. I wonder how many of the
electrocutions are caused by appliances in no-GFI bathrooms?

If people were sensible, what SHOULD we all fear most?  Smoking: 430,000
Car accidents: 36,000, Home accidents (mostly falls and poisoning) 17,000

If we pretend that driving a car isn't lethally dangerous...  then we
should panic at the sight of toys on stairs, ladders, and slippery
bathtubs.

One interesting stat: alcohol is a carcinogen, so the main cancer risk is
from beer and wine.  If you don't drink, then formaldehyde from indoor air
(particleboard fumes) is the top cancer cause, followed by basil and
peanut butter.  1.4 cigarettes equals one chest xray, equals 100
char-broiled steaks; the same as 40tbsp of peanut butter!  :)
But most cancer is during old age, so the things we should fear most
are: being inside a car, climbing a ladder, or standing up in a bathtub.
Electric shock is WAY down on the list.

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/causes.html

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci