Re: Funding 2nd request and report.

Sweet!!

I have a Sun Cobalt Raq 550 dedicated server. Down time is like "zero" :-))) It can do 200 web sites and 10,000 e-mail addresses... Since it is on DSL, it is like an 800 pound gorilla on a kite string, but it does not pain me ;-)) I note that dedicated servers make retail PCs look like piles of junk ;-)) Servers are high powered extreme duty machines for sure!! They can also be easily packed up and sent to a server farm if things get gnarly >:D

Oh! Ahhhh... Get the "Linux" version ,NOT windows :o))))))))))))))) I have a server running each... I can't tell you the difference on this "family oriented" list... I think win is having a "vole-ista" thing now... :-P

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26703

My old 2x400Mhz is about to go Linux.... I threw office away last year :-)))) Most Tesla coil programs are windows... But Java and pure "C" is helping ;-))

FYI - CPU usage on both of my servers is well under "0%". The Sun's CPU temp is 37C :-)) so don't worry about processor power unless you are running "active" web sites that require the CPU to like do E-commerce and stuff.... Just web serving is a no brainer thing...

RAM is good since it takes the wear load of the drives. But now-a-days, every computer comes with unimaginable amounts of memory as well as disk space... I run about 10gig on-line just because "I can"... But I have like 120gig unused space just spinning... All real servers are RAID now which fixes 99% of the problems... The Sun has 4 x 10,000 RPM fans that are LOUD!!! But I think the Dell server is house friendly "quiet". I just got used to it %;-)

One of those easily portable USB 2 backup drives sure is nice to since it can suck everything on the computer up for safe keeping in a few minutes!!

I am going to send $50 too, but I am a little behind in everything ;-)) "I" certainly use the Tesla list hard :o))) But if "everyone" just sent $1, it would pay for the new server right there!! So just stuffing a few bucks in an envelope sure will help out too!!!

Hey Chip!! THANKS for doing all this stuff for all these years now!!!! All I have to do is hit "forward" when I read a post, but you really make the whole thing "go"!!

Cheers,

        Terry