Re: Heat & Rotary Gaps

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 10/22/05 9:45:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I ran it for 30sec and it seams like it won't get
overly hot if I have everything in phase.  Yet, if I
run it at 70% power, it gets hot twice as fast!?

Coiler Forever: Jeremiah Popp

Jeremiah,

It gets hotter at 70% power because the sparks are weaker
and do not dissipate the power.  The power reflects back
to the tank circuit and much of it is burned up in the gap
thereby heating it.  Also the proper phasing depends on
the power level, so running at a lower power may cause
an incorrect phase condition at that lower power.

John