Re: Lightning Gun To Combat Terrorists

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>

In the photo, the guns' muzzle appears to have a digitally enhanced halo, added to the arc-type discharge. The picture of the gun in the background appears to have a similiar halo, although of a different color. Unfortunately, the article seemed to be long on filler and short on technical discussion.

It is practical, however, to accurately deliver lethal amounts of electrical energy to targets 100's of feet downrange, using far simpler technology. One method we perfected at SRL in 1993 used a standard Z-pinch plasma channel, seeded by a ballistic nickel filament. This method is a direct extension of exploding-wire deposition techniques, and requires only 110kV to service a 35ft striking range. The return current for these tests was provided by the concrete/rebar parking lot, which at these voltages behaves very much like the sintered thyrite elements used in lightning arresters. The 110kV Marx Bank with 30-barrel gun can be seen here:

http://www.lod.org/Projects/Other/index.htm

I suppose that the system could be used for 'area denial,' in that anyone who hung around for more than a few shots received the same nasty sinus headache from the brissance. If given the choice though, I would choose a SIG-550 assault rifle over any conceivable electric anti-personnel weapon.

-GL

Original poster: Illicium Verum <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Steve,
A picture can be found at <http://www.xtremeads.com/stunstrike.htm>http://www.xtremeads.com/stunstrike.htm