From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:42 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Spark Gap Design

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/7/05 11:36:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Derek Woodroffe" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dirk,
   The only reason for using copper tube in a larger PVC or similar
insulator pipe is so that you can easily blow air over the gaps. There is
no reason why you can't make a linear arrangement and blow air through those
gaps. I have use this arrangement with a couple of 80mm fans and It worked
as well as any other gap arrangement I have tried.

http://www.roffesoft.co.uk/tesla/bt/bigtess.htm

   Derek

Hi Dirk, Derek, All,

     The "pipes in a tube " system has, IMO, several other advantages
over linear.

1) Compactness - The PVC tube has a smaller footprint.
2) Less UV in your eyes - The PVC tube is a UV light shield
3) Insulation/Safety - Less HV stuff exposed to dirt, drinks, dropped
tools or hardware, and bits of wire, all of which are attracted to
the small spaces between the tubes according to Murphy's Law ;-)