Re: Goubou line, "G-line" (was Tesla Coil RF Transmitter)

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I would argue that a single wire is really just the "centre" conductor
> of a two wire transmission line with the "outer" conductor (if one wants
> to liken it to coax) having a rather large radius. I don't see any
> way of avoiding some coupling to the surroundings, relatively distant
> though they may be.

That's a big issue for low frequency.  For high frequency (where the
surroundings are many wavelengths distance from the center conductor,)
there can be no coupling.  The "sausage shape glob" of travelling waves
would only be a half-wavelength in diameter.  Maybe there would be some
radiation from the wire, and a distant conductor could reflect some
radiation back to the wire again.  But that's not "coupling," that's a
kind of line reflection.

I guess the ionosphere WOULD play a big role at 7Hz after all, even if the
Earth was acting like a G-line.  The ionosphere is a couple of hundred
miles up, which is about 200Hz quarter wavelength.  For the ionosphere to
be a couple of wavelengths away from the Earth-surface "G-line," the
frequency employed would have to be a few kilohertz, not 7Hz (and not
59.9Hz, etc.)

(((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website billb at amasci com http://amasci.com EE/programmer/sci-exhibits amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci