Re: ALF: why not DRSSTC?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Antonio,

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

A DRSSTC can be made to generate almost the same waveforms of a capacitor-discharge system, but the systems are different. The fundamental difference is that a capacitor-discharge system operates using the zero-input response of the network, and the DRSSTC uses the zero-state response, with a sinusoidal (or square wave with negligible difference) input.
Zero-state vs zero-input might be the most elegant way to differentiate between the DRSSTC and capacitor-discharge modes of operation. I was curious though if you would consider the DRSSTC under zero-input response, if you include its DC rail capacitance?

This is part of the driver, and don't have direct influence on what happens at the "energy transfer engine". At least ideally.

I have a DRSSTC designer/simulator here (sstcd):
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs
(Still can't design systems operating exactly at the resonances,
but can simulate them.)

You have a number of other interesting programs there, as well. Have you ever tried to model the voltage stress contours along the secondary, btw? I remember that Paul Nicholson did come up with modeling software for this and ran numerous coil geometries on Terry's workstation, generating voltage contour animations and a very interesting chart of secondary voltage stress factors vs. coil geometry. I have tried, and failed so far to model voltage contours along a large secondary structure. My attempts generate large amounts of high-frequency components, that I am certain don't exist in reality.

The Inca program can be used to obtain an approximation of this, in the electrostatic calculations. But I didn't implement voltage profiles in the objects (a trivial change, but I have to look at all the code again), and didn't implement also a way to calculate it. Some day. You can split a long coil in a series of short cylinders and assign rising voltages to them. There is no need of many cylinders.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz