Re: skin depth in round conductors Re: 8 kHz Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Interesting paper, tho the math formulas kinda freaked me out and gave me a headache. Any mathmetician out there wanna simplify that? As is it covers every conductor, when 99% of the time copper is used. Probably not important when running regular TC's, but would come in handy when building giant ferrite-cored transformers running at 20 kW. But then again, doesn't litz wire cancel most of these effects to the point the remainder can be ignored assuming you use the recommended strand size (38awg for 50-100 kHz)?

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 5:29 AM
Subject: Re: skin depth in round conductors Re: 8 kHz Tesla Coil

Hi Jim,

I have Terman documents, so I'll go and investigate what is said on the subject. Agree with your statement about proximity losses. That is actually my point here. Depth penetration at the kHz ranges we run our coils at is in no way going to require a 5 awg wire size. The 8 kHz coil was outside our norm, so it stood out and showed me there is a problem with the sD recommendation. In design programming, more emphasis should probably be put on proximity, power, and dielectric losses.

Those are my main points with this discussion. Yes, problems with skin depth are real, however, those losses are not being put into perspective and the sD recommendation is probably doing more to minimize basic power losses than actual sD losses. Q would still go up, but the reason may not have actually been sD losses.

Regarding proximity losses in round conductors, this paper may be of interest:
http://www.classictesla.com/download/Proximity_Effect_Loss_Calculation.pdf

"An Improved Calculation of Proximity-Effect Loss
in High-Frequency Windings of Round Conductors"
Xi Nan and Charles R. Sullivan

Take care,
Bart