Re: Breakdown voltage at submillimeter distances?

At 09:40 PM 4/9/2006, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I thought air ionization/breakdown only happened above 315v?

Those are actually different phenomena...

Ionization will occur whenever the field is >30 kV/cm (approx), regardless of the gap and/ or voltage.

Sparks/breakdown depends on both the field and the gap length.

If you have a very short gap (or a very low density gas), you might not get sparks, but you might get a glow discharge or just plain old field emission. In either case, current flows across the gap, it just doesn't form a spark or arc.

Mike