RE: Secondary Question

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bart , the silver plated wire I speak of is stranded, the OD of the
of the wire with insulation is 0.050 , the insulation is a thin , tough
sheath , about .006 thick , that leaves the wire a 19ga ?? Not sure of
the 19ga because of the stranded wire does note quite measure like
solid, 20ga would be my guess. I picked the roll up at an auction many
years ago for a good price so I am only out a couple of dollars at this
time. I will put it aside until a small pig drops by my way or I dream
up another use.
It sounds like a 6" would be better with my 150ma trans. I have 24 and
28ga magnet wire on hand for that.

Rich

Subject: Re: Secondary Question

Hi Rich,

I've been keeping up with you and Gerry on this coil. It's kind of
interesting to see what choice a coiler makes (as per Gerry's options
- which were perfectly presented and correct). I'm kind of curious as
to your red wire. Is it stranded wire? If so, I would probably make
the same choice of using magnet wire. On large forms say 10-12 inch
diameter, I prefer 18 awg.

If by chance your red wire is a single solid conductor, then there
would be nothing wrong with 1000 turn coil on a 9" x 50" form for a
5.56:1 h/d ratio, assuming the overall diameter is 0.05". Turns are
decent as is the h/d ratio.

Take care,
Bart