From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 12:15 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Primary coil configuration

Solenoidal primaries will produce overcoupling if used in any coil dia.
above the 4 inch size.  Flat spirals work best for efficient energy
transfer without "racing sparks".

Racing sparks are always caused by overcoupling or too small toroid size
(causes coil to produce standing waves because certain harmonic
frequencies and complex frequency interactions are not being surpressed
enough).  Use a toroid that is at least 2 x sec coil dia
(3 or 4 x for max performance systems) and you will not have racing
sparks assuming your sec coil is properly elevated above the pri.  We
have used motor driven adjusters to dynamically tune 4", 6", 10", 12",
18" 24", and 36" dia. sec coils while they are running to determine
optimal sec coil heights above the horizontal plane of the primary to
produce a maximum length secondary spark.  4 inch systems respond well
approx 1.125 to 1.25 inches above the pri top turn (flat
spiral) or even with base if using a 15-20 degree cone.  This will
produce the optimum spark length when driven with a 60 mA xmfr.

Someone advocated adjustment until racing sparks occur and then backing
off. This is horrible engineering.  Once a spark punctures a solid
insulation it does not "cure" or repair itself.  Once the damage is done
it is permanent unless the coil is rewound.  You can back off the
coupling to reduce sparkover, but then you always have a weakest link in
your coil system. Properly sealing the sec coil and then not puncturing
it will produce a long lasting coil.

Dr. Resonance