Re: Black ABS

There seem to be two kinds of black plastics.

One is a greasy carbon filled material that is used to resist UV and other nasty things. It usually makes a black mark on paper like a grease pencil. Often it is used as in internal coating in some types of white pipe seen at the hardware store. This type conducts and shorts under high voltage.

The other type is a dye. It seems to be a very deep purple that looks black. Often hard and shiny. This type seems to resists high voltage like any plastic.

In general, it is best to try and test it with a NST or something to make sure it will not conduct since both types have variations that make it hard to tell for sure just by looking at them.

Of course, green, white, clear... plastics have no carbon in them in any case...

Cheers,

        Terry