Re: Baffles

If you plan to produce a spark length equal to or greater than the coil length then use baffles to preclude any chance of interior flashover. No vents in these baffles as they need to be 1/4 inch thick insulation.

There is no need to make your sec height adjustable. I've fully explored this years ago. Just start the sec winding at a location that will be 2.25 inches above the even plane of the primary and you will have the best spark with no racing spark problems. Wind your coil with #26 AWG wire and use a height/OD ratio of 5:1 for a nice coil.

Dr. Resonance
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 4:27 PM
Subject: Baffles

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

I am getting ready to build my next coil.
Secondary form is 6 id drain pipe. I just
completed a winder setup (and yes it will be left
to right). It has two brush coats of polyurethane
on the out side it and now is setting on end with
a 100w bulb in it to make sure it is dry before I
spray the inside. A note a few days ago Dr. R
said to be sure and install a baffle about 5"
inside the tube and seal with RTV.  I have a 6mm
Lexan plug at the top for torrid mount with a ¼
hole in it and a Lexan plug backed up by a Lexan
plate at the bottom, both vented, so I can mount
the secondary with nylon threaded stock to adjust
height if needed.  This assembly will slide down
through the plywood that the primary is mounted
on. The primary is above the plywood by 1.5"
 Do I still need the baffles about 5 "inside the
tube and should they be vented in the center?

Rich, from the middle of Missouri