Re: how deep do the coilers prefer doing it? : )

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Gary, Dmitry, all.

What both of you said seemed quite famliliar to me.
I, too, have the documents that describe the process very
precisely with detailed pictures, but still I could not
figure out what was inside my motor(s), everything looked
totally different. Maybe its not too different and I just don't see
it, because I have not reall experience with the different designs.

However, the document describes a cap start / induction run
motor iirc. Though is saw quite a few motors in the past, I never
saw or recognised such a motor, all I know are the ones who have
a cap permanently connected. I suspect this is cap start / cap run ??

With not exact data on hand, I just ballparked the width of the flats
and I would not consider the modification perfect. two of three motors
I modified have probably too much material removed, but this was a
single chance hit or miss job for me ( long story, had to ask a shop to
do the grinding and they only wanted to do it at once, not step by step ).
I took the "1/4 or 1/3 of the rotor diameter" recommendations.
But no need to despair, both motors see regular use in spark gaps.
Tourque in luckily not a problem, as the motors are quite large compared
to the disks they have to spin. But in guestimated 20% of the "turn on"
situations the motors stall. Switching off and back on or changing the disks
position solves the problem. The motor runs cold enough to let it just run
once it is started.
The point is, the width of the flats is critical for a perfect modification, but
chances are good the achieve a not perfect but nevertheless running
result unless you mess things really up. In the meantime I have found, that
an angle grinder with a medium flexible disk works well, if you proceed slowly.

best regards

Christoph Bohr