Re: Stacked Aluminum and plastic caps in oil

Glass is a very bad choice. It's dissipation factor is very high and it wastes nearly 15-20% of your energy in the form of heat which can cause the glass to crack. Glass is ok for DC caps but terrible for caps operating at RF frequencies.

Use polyethylene, polypropylene, or polystyrene as good choices for RF dielectric material.

Oil is very messy and very difficult to clean up after you spill it. MMC caps still represent the most reasonable and cost effective way to build caps for Tesla coil applications.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "Greg Morris" <gbmorris@xxxxxxxxx>

Paul,

Gosh, it's been a while since that was posted, hope you're still interested. Sorry about the delay, I guess I must have somehow missed your message when first posted. Anyhow, I was searching for that Distilled Water as a Dielectric talk, as there was some interesting stuff as I recalled, and I'm getting ready to finally start building my new coil. My original drawings for the capacitor we were discussing can be found here: < <http://www.angelfire.com/nb/rish/images/Coiling/scan0002.jpg>http://www.angelfire.com/nb/rish/images/Coiling/scan0002.jpg> and here: < http://www.angelfire.com/nb/rish/images/Coiling/scan0003.jpg>. (Sorry about the angelfire, what with the ads and slow loading, but as of right now it's the only webspace I have.) What is not shown there is my idea for a handle integrated with a clamp and metre stick type of arrangement for easy adjustment and measurement. Now that I've revisited the ideas, and know a bit more than I did last year I'm thinking some kind of glass dielectric under oil might work. Same idea as in those images, perhaps with a few changes like a greater number of plates and larger general size of the container.

Greg