RE: Saturable Reactor Ballast from MOT's

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Curt,

Great work! That has to be the easiest way ever to make a saturable reactor. But I thought of one thing that might cause trouble: There could be up to 2000V AC on the node where the two secondaries are connected together. At the moment, you have it arranged so this is the MOT cores.

I think this will stress the insulation a fair bit and you should swap it so the high voltage appears on the MOT output lugs where it was originally designed to. In other words: connect the two MOTs' output lugs together, and connect the DC control voltage leads to the cores.

If you decide not to change the wiring, whatever you do, don't touch the cores while it's operating >_<

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/