From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Thanks - Re: Saturable Reactor Ballast from MOT's
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:33:20 -0700

Original poster: "Alex Kardash" <voltamp1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

We should congratulate Aaron also, from whom the recipe for a dual-MOT ballast originated week on hvlist (actually, Carl did mention that below, but I thought I should point it out again for posterity's sake :))

http://www.pupman.com/hvlistarchives/2006/Feb/msg00003.html

Anyway, thanks to both Carl and Aaron for giving me something to do tonight :D I just tried this with two *similar* MOTs, having the same rated voltage and power capacity, and it appeared to work out ok for a relatively small load (about 3A). Unfortunately, I'm an NST coiler and hadn't done anything with these MOTs until tonight, so I'm struggling to find a larger load to play with! Where's a third MOT when you need one?! Time to go to eBay, methinks...

Safe TC'ing,
-Alex"

   How about an electric iron or heater as a test load?

Ed