Re: Articles

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/27/2006 4:22:15 PM Mountain Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
http://www.powermanagementdesignline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=180205456

The key sentence from the above article is this:

"By using the field to accelerate deuterium oxide atoms between the opposing crystals, the engineers fused two deuterium atoms into helium, releasing the excess energy as high-energy neutron particles--the hallmark of nuclear fusion."

Anytime you get neutrons above 1MeV energy, they can fission U-238 [not a typo], and then things get way too interesting very quickly. There are lots of things I don't know about fast fission. But your typical hydrogen bomb uses a U-238 casing [not U-235], fuses the hydrogen, takes the > 1 MeV neutrons from the fusion, and fissions the casing U-238, yielding up to half the total yield.

Yes, this is off topic, and this is one invention I'm not sure I wish had been invented. :-)

 -- thanks,
        Dave