Re: First Light - And Then Darkness...

If they are barium titanate dielectric they overheat and don't work well with RF currents. The strontium titanate units are made for RF and work very well.

The MMC is still the best for tank caps --- and they are very cheap. For the protection circuit we use a string of three .01 uF 10 kV caps connected in series from each bushing to ground. We also use a sparkgap to ground and a pair of 200 Ohm, 50 watt resistors in series after the caps. right at the output we use a RF choke that clips the nastiest highest frequency transients as they reflect back from the main tank circuit spark gap area.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

I tracked it down to a blown capacitor.  One of the
40KV doorknobs I am using went out to lunch.  Doesn't
bode well...

I'll definitely add a NST protection filter before I
put my precious 120mA NST into it...

Thanks for all the help.

Curt.

> Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

> Standard Time,
> tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>

> > The spark gap may be too wide to fire.  Cleaning
the